People used to consider owning a garage a luxury. Garages provided a safe place to park a vehicle when not in use and storage space for belongings. In recent years, however, California homeowners have turned to their garage space for more than storage and parking. No longer seen as just a space for a vehicle, garages have become a perfect spot for a hobby shop, family area, or gathering space for friends.
Protecting this space from the elements is essential when in use. A garage offers a spacious area to operate in, but it also has two significant issues when the garage door is left open: pests and weather. Installing lifestyle screens in a garage can resolve both of these issues quickly and affordably.
What Exactly are Garage Door Screens?
Lifestyle screens, otherwise known as garage door screens, are a layer of mesh screens that prevents unwanted elements from entering the garage, such as bugs, pests, and debris from the weather. Garage lifestyle screens are the same as a screen door installed on the front of a home; they provide extra protection to the house and convenience to the homeowners. There’s no reason to waste that garage space when homeowners can turn it into an open-air, usable living space.
Adding lifestyle screens to a home can be an affordable way to cool a garage off during the summer. An average DIY (do-it-yourself kit) ranges around several hundred dollars vs. spending several thousand for custom-fitted screens installed by a professional. Some budget kits for garage door screens cost under $100 and require manual installation, but they don’t provide the same level of quality as professionally installed garage screens.
Types of Screens for Garage Doors
The three types of garage door screens available are:
- Lifestyle Garage Door Screens: Lifestyle screens turn a garage into an open-air living space. Lifestyle screens also provide comfort and convenience at an affordable price. These screens are a great way to cool a garage off without expensive HVAC modifications to the home. Lifestyle screens have a door built into them for convenience, removing the necessity of retracting the screen each time.
- Sliding Garage Screens: Sliding screens move horizontally, instead of vertically, when opening and closing. They work similarly to a patio door in a home by utilizing a sliding rail system to keep the screen in place. Being the most budget-friendly of the lifestyle screen options has its advantages; Sliding screens are popular with many homeowners on a budget.
- Roll-down Garage Screens: Motorized screens that roll down are often the most expensive to install. They provide a significant convenience for homeowners who don’t want the hassle of manually rolling the screen up or down each time. They work similarly to the garage door system using tracks that allow the screen to move freely when in use. One added benefit of a roll-down screen is the weather stripping along the bottom; it improves energy efficiency.
Knowing the type of screen to install in a garage is just as important as knowing its uses. Once you’ve decided on a screen to install, finding a professional overhead door company in Salida, CA, will be the next step. Many overhead door companies rely on their customers for exposure, making it essential to rely on customer reviews when searching.
Many overhead door companies offer other services other than installing lifestyle screens. Most companies will provide garage door repair services also. These repairs can include track work, motor or garage door replacement, and installation of garage door assets.
Why Choose a Lifestyle Screen?
Utilizing a lifestyle screen turns a garage from a parking and storage space into a full-blow livable area for family and friends.
Some common uses for lifestyle screens in garages:
- Office Space
- Game Room
- Indoor Patio Alternative
- Outdoor Dining Area
- Additional Bedroom or Living Space
- Movie Theater
- Music Area
- Personal Gym
There are also some benefits to using lifestyle screens in a garage:
- Easy Pest Control
- Increased Usable Square Footage
- Reduced Wear-and-Tear on Garage Elements
- Better Airflow
- Improved Energy Efficiency
- Improved Home Security
- Increased Protection from Weather, Dust, and Pollutants
It’s never too late to take advantage of the benefits of a lifestyle screen for a garage. A lifestyle screen can improve a home in many ways, whether it’s to create a new living space for the family to gather or add a new workshop to work out of.
Choose the Best Garage Door Service Available
Don’t let the search for a reputable garage door company disparage you. At Dependable Overhead Door Co, our skilled technicians are waiting to install and repair any garage door or screen you require. Serving Salida, California, and surrounding areas for years, we offer quality garage door services at an affordable price. Give us a call today. We’re eager to help you with any garage door needs you have!