California residents want their homes to be secure, including their garage entrances. A good garage door with security provisions is one way to guarantee home security at that entry point. Garage doors need regular maintenance to last longer and operate dependably. Knowing who in California to call for repairs and maintenance is the first step.
Does A Garage Door Need Service or Repairs?
It is easy for busy Californians to forget about their garage doors as long as they work. Then when the neglected door stops working, the repairs are larger and cost more. A better plan is to take care of that garage door and have any problems repaired right away before they get more serious. To start a better garage door care plan, listen to the door as it opens and closes.
Problems include noises such as grating, scraping, and other sounds. Watch the door for jerky movements. A home or business owner should inspect their garage doors at least twice a year. Early spring and late fall are good times to check out garage doors and take care of maintenance or repairs. Commercial garage doors need the same treatment as residential garage doors.
If a person notes problems with the door, they should call a good company for garage door repairs. In Northern California, one company to call is Dependable Overhead Door Company. For those who do not want to do the door inspections themselves and do not feel able to do garage door maintenance, This company offers garage door inspection and maintenance services at reasonable prices.
Some Repairs Call for Professional Services
Some problems with automatic garage doors need professional service. These include:
- Spring replacement and repair
- Automatic garage door opener repair or replacement
- Garage doors that are stuck open or closed
- Garage doors that need removing and replacing
Remember, garage doors are heavy, and their operating springs and mechanics are under a lot of pressure. The doors have to be balanced correctly to work properly. A person without experience can get injured trying to install or remove garage doors. When repairing garage doors, always replace broken parts with the correct part for the models and types of garage doors.
Maintenance Tips For Homeowners
For those who feel comfortable monitoring their garage doors, here are some tips from experts.
- Limit the use of garage doors when not parking a vehicle inside. use a key and the front door when possible. Using the garage door exclusively wears out the springs sooner.
- Schedule inspections twice a year if possible.
- Clear debris and rust from door tracks and tighten the hardware such as bolts as needed.
- The door moving parts need to be lubricated periodically. Apply spray lubricant on hinges and rollers and then wipe off any extra.
- Test the garage door balance and call for a repair if the balance is off.
- Test safety features such as the auto-reverse mechanism monthly for safety.
- Check and replace the door’s weatherstripping as needed. The weatherstripping keeps out the cold, water, and debris and is located in a groove at the bottom of the door.
- A garage door should be cleaned and repainted as needed to keep them looking new for longer. Garage doors get a lot of wear and tear from rain, wind, and the sun. Steel doors need to be sanded and primed where there are rust spots, then repainted. Fiberglass doors need to be periodically washed.
Additions To Garage Doors
If a homeowner wants to use their garage for more than parking cars, they can purchase special garage door screens and change to an insulated garage door. This way, the garage can be used for a workshop, a family play area, a man cave, or a hobby area. Companies such as Dependable Overhead Door Company sell and install these products.
Some homeowners may want to use their garages for parties or summer picnics out of the sun but in the fresh air. Others like to sit in the garage to relax while looking out onto the front yard and street. When the garage is used for multiple purposes, it is even more important to keep the overhead garage door in good condition for easy operation.
About Our Company
Dependable Overhead Door Company serves all of Northern California with new door installation and repairs of existing doors. Our garage doors come from the best manufacturers in the industry. We sell and service both residential garage doors and commercial garage doors and offer hundreds of different types and styles of garage doors.